Practical efficient design (Exotac Polystriker XL Fire Starter)
Recently I have decided to teach my loved ones on “How to make fire in a survival situation.” According to survival experts, the Fire Steel (ferro rod and striker) is the most reliable, followed by storm proof matches, then by a bic lighter, a magnifying glass, trailed by a firebow drill, and last is flint &steel (least reliable). I needed something that was reliable and easy to use, when making fire.
After using the Exotac Polystriker XL Fire Starter, the Exotac Polystriker XL Fire Starter fit the specifications I was looking for.
I like how the Exotac Polystriker XL Fire Starter is easy to use. Compared to other ferro rods, this one can be taught and learned by any inexperienced person of young age and old. The instructions are simple, straight forward, and easily understood.
The design of the ferro rod handle and the striker holder is, in my opinion, unique. Handle storage is designed to keep both items together, preventing the loss of the striker. And the design of the striker, in itself, is genius.
1. The striker handle gives the handler ample grip for controlling the striker. Feels solid, strong, in the hands and is made of strong durable material.
2. The striker is made of a metal material (carbide) that effortlessly removes ferro rod shavings at 5500*F. Other ferro rod strikers require lots of heavy force to scrape sparks off the ferro rod, but not this one. Takes little force to produce big sparks. This is great for young ones, with little hands and strength.
3. The striker’s cup design directs and helps control where the globs of shavings go, giving you better control and aiming of the sparks. With practice, you can plan where you want the sparks to go. Also, the striker’s cup design is ambidextrous.
4. I have tried this striker on other ferro rods that I have. These other ferro rods, I thought were useless, but they worked effortlessly with this striker. Turns out, it was the poor design and materials of the other strikers that made my other ferro rods fail. This striker is awesome, design, feel, and ease of use.
The length of the cord that attaches the striker to the ferro rod.
1. For those people who are efficient with a ferro rod, knowing the proper techniques to using a ferro rod and striker, the length is sufficient.
2. For those who are just learning how to use a ferro rod, the cord would have to be replaced with a longer one. Or replace with a bungee cord of the same length.
The ferro rod.
1. Just like the striker, the handle feels solid, strong, in the hands and is made of strong durable material.
2. The handle length is great. Let’s you get a very good solid grip, wont slip from your hands. And if you are wearing gloves, you still get a good grip.
3. The ferro rod is thick and length is good, just like any other ferro rod. The rod looks like and feels like it is mounted permanent and strong into the handle, will not come loose.
4. You may get up to 10,000 strikes. But if you don’t know how to use it, you may only get hundreds of fires. Just follow the simple instructions and the striker’s ease of use, you will not waste strike after strike trying to start a fire. With the right technique, one or two strikes and you should have a fire. Therefore, saving the ferro rod and getting up to 9,000 plus fires. The Exotac Polystriker XL will give you many years of use, it can last for a lifetime.
If you plan to teach someone or want to learn yourself, on how to use a ferro rod and striker, this is the tool. Exotac Polystriker XL; design, ease of use, and simple instructions.
Overall, the Exotac Polystriker XL Fire Starter is designed for all types of outdoor personnel and activities; campers, boy scouts, hikers, backpackers, hunters, survivalist, survival instructors, routine and emergency gear, EDC, Bug out Bags, home fireplace (to keep in practice or power outage), etc.